POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : mathematics for lines in 3D space : Re: mathematics for lines in 3D space Server Time
10 Aug 2024 03:21:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: mathematics for lines in 3D space
From: Steve Martin
Date: 14 Mar 2000 08:43:04
Message: <38CE4234.64C7617A@usit.net>
Mike Weber wrote:

> > I wondered if there is an easy way to make threedimensional curves using a
> > mathematical function, ideally precisely between two points . How could
> this
> > be done in POV-ray?

> But it you want a line between two points - it will only be straight one...

<pedantic mode on>

Actually, a Bezier curve is between two points (its end points). It does
of course depend on two other points that influence the shape of the
curve, but these points are not *on* the curve; the end-points are the
only points you specify that actually lie *on* the curve.

<pedantic mode off>

I believe you probably are interested in a field of math referred to as
"cubic polynomials".